Well, I've gotten all caught up with all our summer stuff. The end of the summer always means back to school and this year is Jake's first year at regular school! He started 1/2 day Kindergarten on Aug 20th at Allen Frear Elementary School which is about 2 minutes down the road from us. I take him and pick him up because I switched him to the morning which worked better for our schedule (all three kids take a nap in the afternoon!!), but that messed up the bussing. To be honest, I enjoy taking him, seeing his teacher each day, and holding on to my "big" guy for just one more year. So far, Jake seems to love school, though getting him to tell us what he learned each day is proving to be a chore! I thought that wasn't supposed to happen until later!!! Every day I hear that he colored and did the calendar! Surely there's more to his 2 1/2 hours than that!!! I've finally wised up and have started asking the other moms who are there picking up their kids. Together, we're getting a better idea of what they are actually doing each day!
2 comments:
Hey Laura! I just now saw your email about your blog. I've added it to my blogs list. Wow can't believe Jake started school. How do you like the half day vs the full day? I've heard a lot of people complain about half day. I did half day kindergarten though as a kid. Things will change for Leah. I heard that she won't even go to Allen Frear next year, but to that other one and then start at AF for first grade. Or at least that's what I've heard. I'd love to hear any sider information you have. Since I'm homeschooling this year I'll be totally out of the loop!
Hey Robyn!
Glad you're checking out the blog. Jake's making out fine with the half day. I was stressing about it and really wanted him to do the full day at McIlvaine (their program sounds fabulous!), but I finally have come to terms with AF an the half day. He's five. I guess it's great to just let him enjoy the remainder of his day playing with his brother and being a kid. I have to say, though, Carrie's son, Liam is going to McIlvaine and the stuff they're doing sounds awesome. But, we'll keep trying to have "teachable moments" at home. He's doing fine. Take care!
Laura
Post a Comment