Monday, September 15, 2008

Babies and Banana Bread

In honor of my good friend Katie Owens having her new baby girl, Amelia (Congratulations, guys!!! You all need to check out the pictures on the Owens Update blog...she's beautiful!!!), I decided to make Katie's grandmother's banana bread recipe...well, that and I had some brown bananas!!! :-) I forgot how delicious this bread is!!! So, here's the recipe, and thanks "Meme" for passing it along to Katie and thanks Katie for sharing it with me!!!

Meme's Banana Nut Bread
1/2 c. butter (use the good stuff, no substitutes)
2 eggs
1 c. sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 c. mashed bananas (about 4 ripe ones)
1/2 c. sour cream (here's where you can lighten it up if you want...I used fat free)
1/2 c. nuts (walnuts are best)
1 2/3 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
Combine butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Cream on high for 1 1/2 min. Add bananas, sour cream and nuts and beat on low while adding dry ingredients. Put into greased and floured loaf pan and bake at 350 for about an hour. Cool for about 30min-1 hour in pan and then turn upside down to remove loaf. Let cool completely on wire rack (that's when you cut into it...when it's still a little warm...yum!!!).
Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

1 comment:

katieowens said...

Laura,
That brought a tear to my eye. Meme would be so happy! It's funny because last week I made 2 loaves and froze one for when the baby came. It's always nice to have some comforting and yummy food in the house when you are recuperatiing. I'm honored that you remembered her recipe. Thanks!